Growing up, I spent every summer on road trips traveling across the country with my family. Breakfast on the road always consisted of my favorite strawberry pop tarts. I rarely eat them now but any time I get my hands on one, it always takes me back to my childhood. These are the perfect nostalgic treat to make for your Valentine. Did I mention how simple these are to make?
Makes 8-10 pop tarts
• 1 (15 ounce) package of refrigerated pie dough
• ¼ cup strawberry jam
• 1 egg
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar; sifted
• ½ tsp vanilla extract
• 2-3 tbsp whole milk
• Pink food coloring gel
• Preheat over to 400° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat (I prefer Silpat).
• Unroll the pie crusts. Lightly flour your tabletop. Use a rolling pin to roll out the pie dough just a bit (you don't want the dough to be too thin or you it will break apart).
• Use a 4" heart cookie cutter to punch out the hearts. Put a scoop of jam in the middle of the heart. Add another heart on top. Use a fork to crimp all of the edges to seal in the jam.
• Crack an egg into a bowl and mix together with a fork. Use a pastry brush to paint the top of the pop tart with egg wash. Take a knife and make two small slits in the middle of the heart (this will help the air trapped inside the heart escape so your pastry doesn't break).
• Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove from oven and let pop tarts cool on pan for 5 minutes; transfer to cooling rack.
• While pop tarts are cooling, make the glaze. Sift confectioners' sugar into a bowl. Add milk, vanilla extract, and food coloring gel & mix until combined. Dip each pop tart into the bowl and cover the tops with glaze. Add sprinkles. Let the glaze set for 15 minutes then enjoy!